Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tuna pâté on chive pikelets

Tuna pâté on chive pikelets


This was another item I brought to our orphan's Christmas. The recipe makes about twice the amount of pâté required, so you could double the pikelet recipe. The original only gives you around 20 pikelets. The cookbook said about 30, but I don't know what kind of planet they were on. I only managed 19 from my batter, which actually suited me because I didn't want too many pikelets considering I was bringing other stuff too.

I really tried to avoid making too much food this year. I didn't want to be eating leftovers for days or having to throw stuff out.

My only leftovers this year was a bit of tuna pâté and a small amount of seared beef (coming up in my next post). I ate the left over tuna pâté in a toasted sandwich. I love tuna toasted sandwiches!

Tuna pâté on chive pikelets


Tuna pâté on chive pikelets

Adapted from Kitchen Classics: sweet and savoury bites


Makes about 20

Tuna pâté
125g cream cheese
400g can tuna in oil, drained
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Chive Pikelets
60g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon snipped chives
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
125ml milk

Caviar and chives to garnish

In a food processor, work the cream cheese until smooth. Add the tuna, capers, chives, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse the mixture until roughly combined. Taste for seasoning, add more salt, black pepper, cayenne, or lemon juice to taste.

To make the pikelets, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Stir in the chives and make a well in the centre. Gradually whisk in the egg yolk and enough milk to form a smooth lump-free batter, the consistency of thick cream.
Set aside for 15 minutes, then lightly grease a non-stick frying pan and drop teaspoons of the batter into the pan. When bubbles appear on the surface of the pikelets, turn them over and brown the other side. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Spread teaspoons of the pâté on to the pikelets, garnish with some caviar and more chives.

Note: The pikelets may be assembled up to 3 hours ahead, covered and refrigerated.


Related Posts with Thumbnails