Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lemon Iced Tea

Happy Australia Day!


I'm a bit late, but I hope that everyone (in Australia) had a great Australia Day! And also a good Chinese New Year!

Lemon Ice Tea


So to all Melburnians, how hot is it this week? 42°C yesterday, 43°C today, 43°C tomorrow... sweltering! I like the heat, but even I'm not silly enough to be outside during these temperatures. I can't imagine how people who work outside, or those playing tennis, are coping in it.

It's definitely the kind of weather to be sitting under air conditioning (if the power hasn't been cut!) and sipping on an ice cold drink. I love lemon iced tea, and every now and again I make a big jug from a recipe that I adapted from a tea website (no idea which one now). It's great for beating the heat and also helps to use the teabags that I always find in the pantry, even though I never buy them!

Lemon Ice Tea


Lemon Iced Tea

Makes a big jug

2 large lemons
1 cup sugar
6 black tea bags
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Using a vegetable peeler, remove the bright yellow peel from lemons. Combine lemon peel and sugar in a medium saucepan with 9 cups of water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Lower heat and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the tea bags and let it steep for 5-10 minutes (more if you like it stronger). Mix in the lemon juice and taste. The iced tea will most likely be very strong and sweet so add more water if necessary, probably another cup, then strain and serve in tall glasses filled with ice.


Related Posts with Thumbnails