Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Soup Sunday: Cauliflower and leek soup

Soup Sunday


This week’s soup should probably be Soup Monday, because we had this soup last night. But I made the soup on Sunday so technically I can still say it’s part of Soup Sunday.

The soup for this week was cauliflower and leek. I know that cauliflower isn’t the coolest kid on the block, but I love it. It's reliable, comforting, easy to cook, and yes – I do like the flavour!

I didn't follow a recipe (it was just soup after all) but to make it, I softened two sliced leeks - sliced expertly by my Bro - with a couple of crushed cloves of garlic and 3/4 head of a medium cauliflower, cut into florets. To that I added enough vegetable stock to almost cover the cauliflower and leeks, and left it to simmer until it was all soft and mashable. Into that went lots of pepper and salt, and then I blended it up with a stick blender. After it was smooth I added milk (probably about a cup or more) until I was happy with the flavour and consistency.

The soup was quite sweet with the leeks, and while it had a fair kick from the pepper (I got excited adding it in) the flavour of the cauliflower still came through. It was hearty and filling and would be perfect for a freezing winter's night.

Thanks to Alastair for being so patient while I was taking the photo. He had to suffer through my directions: "Hold the mug like this. Oh, your hands are much bigger than mine, how about you try it like this. Okay, can you tilt it down a little? A bit more. Don't spill the soup. Right, don't move. I'm almost done. Don't move. Just a couple more...."


Related Posts with Thumbnails