Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cookbook Challenge: Week 10, Cool

Iced beetroot soup


Recipe: Iced beetroot soup
From: Jill Dupleix's Lighten Up


Argh! I'm late for (last week's) Cookbook Challenge! Despite knowing what I was going to make at the beginning of the week, I'm still late with it! In my defense though, I was going to do it in the weekend but ended up spending all day Saturday painting the walls of our bottom floor. I thought that I would be able to squeeze in some quick cooking on the day, but the painting took much longer than I thought, despite getting up early (7:30am on a SATURDAY, thank you very much). We were out on Saturday night, and out all day on Sunday, so there was no opportunity to do my Cookbook Challenge recipe.

I did take yesterday (the day before Australia Day) off, but guess what I spent it doing? More painting! I painted the lower stairway, and again that took all day. Anyway, here I am finally, only a couple of days late. Thank goodness today is a public holiday!

Iced beetroot soup


The theme for Week 10 is "cool" and guess what? Unlike the past five weeks, I didn't do a sweet recipe! Instead, I did a chilled beetroot soup. I can't say I've ever had a beetroot soup before, much less a cold one, so had zero expectations of this one.

Well I'm pleased to say that the soup is very good and would be very refreshing on a hot day. It's quite spicy with the shallots and raw garlic (warning, it tends to hang around for a bit afterwards!), while still being sweet and earthy. Plus it's a gorgeous ruby-red colour. It could be the prettiest soup ever!

After making the soup, I still have half a bunch of beetroot left. I wonder what I should do with it. Perhaps I could work it into this week's theme (mixed)...?

See previous Cookbook Challenge posts here.

Update: See the round up for this week at My Food Trail.

Iced beetroot soup


Iced beetroot soup

From Jill Dupleix's Lighten Up

Serves 6 to 8

3 shallots
2 celery stalks (I didn't have any and left this out)
500g beetroot, cooked and peeled
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
300ml vegetable stock or water
sea salt and pepper
1 tablespoon horseradish cream
100g thick Greek yoghurt
chives to finish

Roughly chop the shallots, celery and the beetroot and mix with the crushed garlic, wine vinegar and olive oil.

Cover and leave it to marinate for a couple of hours or overnight.

Place the beetroot mixture into a blend and blend to a smooth puree. Add the stock, salt and pepper and blend again until smooth.

Chill until ready to serve.

Stir the horseradish cream with the yoghurt. When ready to serve, add a dollop of the horseradish yoghurt on top of the soup, grind over some pepper and spear with a chive.


Related Posts with Thumbnails